The Younger Members Committee (YMC) provides opportunities to graduate students and early-career earthquake professionals/faculty members within the EERI organization. Specifically, the YMC:
- Explores methods to increase active membership among graduate students and young professionals/faculty in the Institute;
- Develops technical and social activities for younger members at the Annual Meeting and throughout the year to foster their professional development;
- Manages and maintains a Virtual Earthquake Reconnaissance Team (VERT) sub-committee through which younger members support the Learning from Earthquakes (LFE) program;
- Explores ways for younger members to become advocates for earthquake safety;
- Coordinates and promotes opportunities for younger members to serve as liaisons to other EERI programs, committees, and projects to ensure a smooth transition from young to full member; and
- Partners with the EERI Board to implement strategies to increase engagement of younger members so that the Institute remains a vital and effective organization.